Surveillance of information and communications technology is increasingly common in Australian workplaces.
To assist our customers, here is a basic template ICT Surveillance Policy that may be useful as a starting point. You are free to copy and edit it as you see fit.
ICT Surveillance Policy Template
This policy applies to work-related surveillance of information and communications technology (“ICT”) used by employees and contractors, whether conducted by or for the company.
The company is committed to transparency regarding such surveillance and compliance with relevant workplace surveillance legislation that is applicable where the company does business in Australia (“surveillance laws”). Where there is any inconsistency between this policy and applicable surveillance laws, the latter applies.
- This policy constitutes notice to staff of the company’s ICT surveillance activities for the purposes of applicable surveillance laws.
- Purpose of Surveillance
- The company may conduct work-related ICT surveillance to monitor health and safety, use of company property, security of property and information systems/data, quality of goods/services and efficiency, and compliance with legal obligations and company policies.
- The company may review surveillance records in relation to legal or other requirements or to manage misconduct or unlawful activity.
The company may carry out ICT surveillance by available means, including the methods detailed below. Such surveillance may be intermittent or continuous and monitored, recorded, retrieved and/or reviewed at any time.
- Audio Communications
Surveillance may be conducted by means of monitoring and recording all inbound and outbound telephone calls from company premises and/or fixed or mobile telephone equipment primarily for training purposes. However, if the other party to a conversation requests that the call not be recorded, then staff are to mute the recording.
- Computers & Data
Surveillance may be conducted by means of software or other equipment that monitors and records the use of company computers, networks and other technology and devices.
- Email & Internet
The company reserves the right to prevent delivery of any email sent to or from staff, or access to an internet website by staff, such as where it involves obscene, inappropriate, defamatory or illegal material or anything which could adversely affect company systems. Where an email communication is prevented, the company will promptly advise relevant staff in accordance with any applicable surveillance laws.
- GPS Tracking
Surveillance may be conducted by means of electronic devices and technology that monitor or record geographical location or movement of company property or business activities, such as GPS-equipped vehicles, company cards, computers and portable devices. This is primarily for planning and scheduling purposes, locating staff or investigating issues.
- Audio Communications
- The company will give staff notice of the implementation of any new surveillance in accordance with applicable surveillance laws.
- Such notice will indicate the kind of surveillance, how it will be carried out and when it will be conducted.
- Access to Records
- Staff may request access to ICT surveillance data relating to them or their activities by written request specifying the relevant timeframe, location, type of surveillance and the purpose of their request.
- The company will not use or disclose surveillance records unless for a legitimate business-related purpose, or where disclosure is required by law or necessary for safety of people or property.
- The company may use surveillance records for investigating or taking disciplinary or other legal action involving staff.
- The company may vary this policy from time to time, subject to any requirements of applicable surveillance laws.
- Contact Details
- Please direct any surveillance-related issues or queries to the company’s Privacy Officer at our postal address.
Looking for more policy templates?
Here are some further policy templates you are free to copy and edit:
- Cybersecurity and Social Media Policy Template
- Employee Password Policy Template
- Physical Security Policy Template
- Employee Mobile Phone Policy Template
This page provides general information as a guide only, to be used at your sole risk. It does not constitute legal or other professional advice and you should seek such advice specific to your circumstances in implementing any workplace policies.